June 24, 2008

ANNISTON, ALABAMA

Between Birmingham, Alabama and Atlanta, Georgia; off of Interstate 20 is the city of Anniston, Alabama. If you are ever in Anniston, I'd recommend going to
The Smoking Moose nightclub.



I performed at The Smoking Moose, Saturday, June 14th, for their Comedy Karaoke night hosted by Benji Wright.

I had contacted Benji a few weeks prior to scheduling the show through Benjie's MySpace page. Say what you will about Myspace, but the site works for me when it comes to meeting people and networking. Benjie is an "old school" comic that believes in giving other comics a chance to show their stuff. After talking to Benjie through MySpace email; he decided to invite me up to Anniston.

I enjoyed traveling the 4 and 1/2 hours up north I-65 and over on east I-20, except I ran through a few fierce thunderstorms on the other side of Montgomery and had to deal with some road construction on I-65. (There's always road construction somewhere on 65)

I arrived at the Anniston Downtowner Inn several hours before the show. That's right, friends; this gig included a paycheck AND a room. The Downtowner is an older hotel in Anniston, but clean. I'm sure many "road comics" have stayed at much worse, and I felt pretty good checking in with no problems. Benjie had taken care of the arrangements and all I had to do was say my name, show my ID, and sign in. (Insert sigh of relief here)

I gave Benjie a call and told him I was in town and he recommended I grab something to eat at a local barbecue place called Betty's. Pretty fair BBQ and cole slaw. I did enjoy eavesdropping on the two couples and their kids sitting in booths across from me. Their dinner conversation centered around a local city festival concert and attending a new movie at the local drive-in theatre. Back in my old hometown, our drive-in closed almost 20 years ago; it was nice to hear of a small town drive-in still in existence.

I stopped backed by the hotel after supper, grabbed my "cheat sheet" and headed to 1214 Noble Street and The Smoking Moose.


The Smoking Moose is a cool nightclub located in the renovated downtown area of Anniston. Other clubs are located on the street mingled with downtown businesses and shops along a street with brick paver crosswalks. The neon sign of the club has a nostalgic look to it and half-way reminded me of a cigarette pack with several cigarettes sticking out of it--maybe that's just me.


Inside the club, you are greeted with a dark interior, rich in wood, photographs and old signs. A stage jutted out onto the dance floor that faced ample comfortable seating and pool tables were located in the back of the club. Chase lights surrounded the dance floor to guide your feet on the changing heights of the club's floor.

And the Smoking Moose? Yep, mounted on the wall above the bar, a large moose head with a western-styled shaggy foot cheroot in his mouth. And, I forgot to mention the Cigar Indian acting as a sentinel as you entered the club.

But, what about the Comedy, Dave? I'm getting to it.

Comedy Karaoke is a good twist to other Open Mikes I've attended or even other Comedy Nights or Comedy Zones at other clubs. The schedule consisted of paid comics and amateurs getting on stage for the first time or still working on fledgling acts. I'm told that under certain circumstances, audience members are encouraged(or forced) to get on stage, as well.

On this night, Benjie Wright opened the evening with his brand of redneck humor. Benjie works for a local Birmingham radio station and is a regular at the Stardome. Benjie is a good host and the crowd liked him.

Brandon Kilpatrick and Cameron Gillette were the two new comedians. Both had been on stage a few times. I'm sorry to say I can't remember which comedian did what material; but both had some good moments. One of them had definitely been influenced by either Steven Wright or Demetri Martin and performed with a dead pan delivery of one liners and non sequiturs--Original material but you could see the influence, right down to a few bars of music blown on a harmonica.

Next up, was yours truly. I had been nervous about the night for a week or so. I did not want to disappoint Benjie because he had taken a chance on bringing me to the club, sight unseen.

My opening bits worked pretty good and I could hear the laughter. Some newer material did so-so and I got a great response from an enthusiastic audience member exactly where I wanted to get the response. On the downside, a bit that I truly love doing got little response from yet another type of audience and I feel it's time to send those jokes to the Great Joke Shredder. I finished pretty good. Benjie informed me after the show, that I lost my way once when a bit did not go well and appeared a bit nervous...but I settled down afterwards. Good observation and I noted it for further refinement.

The closing act was Xavier from Birmingham and also a regular at The Stardome. His urban material went over well, and he overcame a bachelorette party that entered the club during his act with no intention of watching stand-up comedy that evening. He was strongest interacting with the crowd and his material was solid. I also liked his "what the f@#k" attitude, "yeah like ya'll are really gonna hurt my career." But, that's an attitude I could not easily pull off.

After the show, I talked to a few of the audience members thanking them for coming out and supporting Stand-Up Comedy in Anniston and spoke with the "open mike" participants. Benjie and I shared a few more beers with the bar manager and I "ogled" at a few of the college co-eds that entered the bar. Benjie and I lamented that as married men that is all we are allowed to do. I thanked the manager of The Smoking Moose and Benjie for allowing me to perform and was almost talked into going to another local bar by one of the patrons at The Moose, but declined and went back to my hotel.

The next morning I awoke to the sounds of a couple in the next room. The man was either receiving his "Father's Day" present or possibly becoming a Father. Either way, I envied HIS stamina and HER lung capacity.

Given the opportunity to return to The Smoking Moose, I'd jump at the chance.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home