December 29, 2007

REST STOP: YEAR END SUMMARY

On my quest to leaving "wannabe comic" status to becoming a full-fledged professional comedian; I'd have to say that the year, 2007, has been very good to me.

After venturing into the only open-mic venue in Mobile, Alabama, I made a fateful trip to New Orleans to meet some fellow MySpacers one Saturday afternoon at Checkpoint Charlie's



At the meet-up I met New Orleans comic, Boomer Doell. Boomer is a funny guy, and after talking a few minutes he told me about a venue that he was then booking. A few weeks later I headed to the Urban Cup Cafe in New Orleans for my first paying gig in many years.



The crowd was nice, they laughed at my bits and I was jazzed about holding a microphone on a stage once again.

This gig led to few more at Urban Cup with varying results and then an opportunity to perform at another "room" up the street.

The Kumflama Boutique and Beverage Bar as a comedy venue had potential. It was located on a popular stretch of Magazine Street in New Orleans with several nearby bars and shops. Street traffic was brisk and Boomer and myself were hopeful that with the right promotion and the right mix of comics, that we were going to have a kickass regular gig.



Unfortunately, the timing or unbeknownst factors affected my later trips to the venue. The crowds were hit or miss and my scheduled nights seemed to be the "miss" portion of the schedule.

On the upside, the travel back and forth to New Orleans led me to make some great contacts with fellow comedians and club owners for future dates in 2008.

The downside was a traffic ticket at 2AM by one of NOPD's finest officers. Believe me when I say, there was nothing funny about the experience. And, I don't wish to repeat the event at any time in the future.

Back in Mobile, I also connected with a few more comedians traveling into town and their advice and referrals look to make 2008 even better.

Keep watching "Comedy This Exit" and "On The Road With Dave" for future updates and scheduling.

I wish you a Happy New Year and come see me when I'm in your area.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home