March 15, 2007

568 DAUPHIN STREET

Mobile, Alabama is trying real hard to bring stand-up comedy back to club go-ers.

Wednesday nights, The Chemistry Bar and Lounge at 568 Dauphin Street offers an open mike venue to all performers willing to get on stage and show their talents.

The roster of performers features rappers, singers and poets in the style of Russell Simmon's Def Poetry, and much to my delight, comedians.

Last Wednesday night, March 14th, I decided to finally stand on the Chemistry stage and tell a few jokes.

About two weeks ago, I made a trip to downtown Mobile, Alabama, on a reconnaissance mission to check out a club called The Chemistry Bar and Lounge. The Chemistry is located at 568 Dauphin Street just a few block up from the "main" strip of bars, clubs, and lounges that make Dauphin Street; Mobile's version of Bourbon Street "Lite".

On my way up the street to find the club, I stopped and asked directions and was surprised by one guy's response.

"Oh you mean that BLACK club! Yeah it's two more blocks up"

The two things that surprised me most, was

1. The music and atmosphere of ALL the clubs in Mobile, with the exception of the really redneck country bars, could accommodate a wide racial diversity.

And

B. I couldn't believe people still label bars and lounges by their predominant clientele. C'mon people, we have to be smarter than that.

Anyway, I found the club and settled in with a beer and some nice conversation with the owner.

The club is about 3 years old with two rooms and two full bars. One side provides pool tables, television, comfortable chairs, stools and couches.

The other side or "main room" has tables, stools, the main bar, and music and speakers to show everybody how to "bounce".

The stage is a small one-step riser and the lighting is stark; there's no footlights or colored gels overhead, but the performer is well lit.

I watched that night's performers and had a great time and was eager to return the following week.

Anyway, I showed up early on the 14th and was immediately met by Yahshua Kickliter (that's his real name) who is a fellow MySpacer and aspiring comedian. Yahshua promoted his appearance heavily on MySpace and due to an abundance of local friends managed to bring in 20 or so people on his own. He's got the "bringer" to an art, and he didn't even know what a "bringer" was. I sat and had a beer and watched as people came in.

At showtime, the emcee and freestyler, Tony, got the crowd of 80 or so pumped and introduced the first performer.

This performer bears mentioning simply because he was...how shall I say it..unique.

You could best describe this "act" known as "The Show", as a "concept" or performance artist. "The Show" always goes on first, and his "act" seems off the cuff and unrehearsed. On that night, he opened with a dance to the stage followed by a recitation of nursery rhymes. After the completion of Jack and Jill, whereby "Jill comes tumbling after," The Show fell to the stage floor and appeared to try to get up off his stomach several times, and then began what looked like a simulated sex act with the floor. He feigned a cleaning maneuver afterwards and took his bows.

Needless to say, the remaining performers avoided the "spot" even though it was imaginary.

Some poets took the stage following "The Show" and outdid themselves with social commentary.

Yahshua went up next. He was pumped, eager, and had a good time. His friends were not disappointed.

Then came my turn.

I had told my co-workers that if I showed up at work the next day, strutting around ; then I had done well. If I showed up with my head down, they could assume the worst and not ask me about the evening.

I'm glad to say that I showed up the next day with my head held high, but not strutting per se'. I didn't "kill"; but I definitely "wounded".

My "internet addiction" bits killed; "my life as a married man" did well; but my biggest disappointment was a bit I thought would work well in the club sorta died.

Suffice it to say, that I need a different audience to "rip on Jesus". The owner informed me afterwards, "Dude, even "thugz" got religion". Lesson learned.

But if I want a "home club" in Mobile; I feel like I could perform there on a regular basis, provided I keep writing new material and again, not do any "Jesus jokes".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home